Sunday, May 1, 2016

Day two

We ducked under the shade structure to get out, a couple fishermen were working nets, they mentioned the roof, and we said Mañana. For the first time we noticed the house in front lost its wall.

We walked the two short blocks to Centro and saw what Campos and his boys had been doing the night before, securing their store and house.

The building on the corner housed two small families and a business.

Across the street the Laurita was severely damaged, it was a restaurant and hostel. Debris from it fell and damaged the house next door, that happened a lot. 

Down the block, the new building Marco Delgado's hostel and parking garage collapsed, damaging Joffres mothers house and patio.

It was four stories. Parking on the bottom which is why I think it fell, not much structure to keep it upright. Turns out his car was parked in here, he lost everything! Even his original hostel and restaurant across the street. It damaged Gorditos chicken (who have relocated to Charapoto to set up shop), and the pharmacy moved in case there is more damage when they bring Marcos down.

The two above where taken after they cleaned out anything salvageable. Next in the tour is Edison. He and his family are number one on our collection list. He is our shrimp guy, when we don't get them free from the fishermen. His mother and wife make empanadas and milkshakes during high season, and have even delivered them to us! They also do laundry for hire, and most days this courtyard is full of hanging clothes.

Their house lost a wall, and that wall fell on their shade structure, where they worked and cooked. Their other house was damaged from the hotel next door.

Because of the aftershocks, the ladies didn't want to sleep inside this house, and because the other house was so damaged, they all were forced to sleep in the street.

Without any power in town the night before we had no idea Edison had lost his house, yet he grabbed us, took us to where his family was sitting, gave us a chair and bottle of water, and consoled us as we waited to evacuate. When I came around the corner the next morning and saw the destruction, I cried for the first time. I looked up, and there he was smiling eating a slice of watermelon, wish I could have gotten that picture. But it'll stay with me a long time. So far we have raised $300 thru the GoFundMe and Facebook, I'd like to give it all to them, but there are more that are in need too. We will wait and keep collecting. (Hint, hint)

So continue walking, I round the corner to come home, and Father fishermen's house is empty. The house across the street from his looks like this.

And next door to Father fisherman is Laureno and the Bravo family who had been busy doing new construction on their second floor.

Neither house is being lived in, still to this day because of the damage, and threat of more damage. Marcos restaurant is on the other side, so they may be waiting til it is demolished to see if more damage occurs to their homes. These two families are on our list as well, but it may be some time before we know what is really needed.

And that concludes our second day. I think we walked some more, down the Malecon into San Alejo, but I just don't remember. Mike kept telling me to write stuff down, but who knew it would be 11 days without power? Joffres first guess was 3-4 days, but my gosh nobody KNEW anything! People who had "smart phones" had info, but still that was sketchy. I started to realize you all knew much more than we did. 

Look how much this power pole moved, it's gotta be 4 inches. Oh, we did walk a little more, around dusk, we wandered over to  our Romero family to see how they were. They had lost a wall in a neighboring building, (not the house they live in) and had some cracks in the floor, good news. They were just getting dinner started, and OF COURSE insisted we stay, which we did. After dinner they were getting together with other families to sleep outside. There is a house on the corner for sale, and it's covered porch was large enough for several mattresses. They were busy putting up mosquito nets and snuggling in for the night. Safety in numbers, and cooler than inside with no power, they asked to stay, but we declined.

And this is how it goes, they are bringing their beds out at night, and putting them away during the day. I'm so glad the weather is comfortable, it makes such a difference! We've survived, stay tuned...the adventure continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment