Translate

Monday, June 30, 2014

Odds and ends

This post will be a collection of things that haven't made it into other posts. I've got some weird fruit to share, 


We've established this is Dragon Fruit, the most common variety in the States is pink.


This was labeled pepino in the grocery store, looked it up on Google translator, and it told me cucumber! But then when I googled the image, I found out it tasted slightly cucumberish, but was closer to a melon.


This was taken in Manta with Fernando, I google imaged droop fruit, and this may be a variety of mango. Mango season isn't til November, December, January, but I'll keep my eyes open for more of these strange looking trees.


Speaking of Fernando, he sent me this picture he took, while we were eating our new favorite breakfast encebollados. His website for Visa help, and all around new comer help is http://www.mantaexpat.com or email sosmantaguide@ hotmail.com Fernando Monroy is a treasure. While we were with him the other day, he got a call for help hooking up DirectV and getting a new cell phone, so he will pretty much help you with everything! Fees are very good, and his English is great!

I mentioned Ceibo trees the other day, and thought many of you may not know what they are. 


They can grow up to 230 ft, they only leaf out in the rainy season, and bloom once every 5 years or so. Their bark is green with chlorophyll so they can "do their thing" without leaves during the dry spells. They have seed pods that are filled with "cotton" that is used for floatations, and life jackets. They aren't protected, but locals won't cut them down, because they are said to house natural spirits, that have roots to the center of the earth. The Mayans celebrated them, and there are many folklore stories about them. Their wood is soft, so they aren't used for furniture or other woodworking, some have big thorns on their bark. They certainly look like hobbits or trolls are close by, maybe something out of a Disney movie...another interesting thing in Ecuador.


Went to the beach yesterday, it was the busiest we have seen it. The Peter and Paul festival was still going, so I'm sure that brought some people in to town.  Glad the festival is over, they like to party...til 3am! Not even the earplugs could drown it all out, luckily it was was pretty good music, with only a little  bit of drunken talking on the microphone (which we couldn't understand anyway) but I'm glad we got to see it. Not as many vendors as we expected, it was more block party style. 


Another pretty sunset from the porch, just thought I'd share.

We went down to the Malecon this morning, to see if we could get some fish or shrimp. Saw one man gutting a fish that was 4 ft long, and found a pound of shrimp for $5, probably a gringo price, would have been cheaper if we spoke better spanish. Also got 4 tomatoes,4 onions,4 potatoes, a pepper, milk and butter for $6, cookies and dog food for $4. Saw a pineapple, but decided we would use our small bills for lunch at our new favorite Yolita's. 

Mikes in the hammock, and I'll work on my tan before it gets too hot. Lunch, then another walk on the beach before siesta. Life is good ( and bootless) in Ecuador. It's been almost a week since I wore my boot, last time it hurt, so I've been going without. Trying to stretch the muscle that runs down the top of my foot, so I can get my range of motion back. The ankle is still swollen, and tender to the touch, but I'm getting better everyday. 


Enjoy your day, take time to be still and dream or plot an adventure, you'll never regret it! Hasta luego











No comments:

Post a Comment