Translate

Monday, November 12, 2018

Life is back to normal?

I have been back on the Coast for almost two weeks, and am back into the haircutting, painting, house sitting work, puttering in the patio and beach walks. I thought all was back to normal until I was woken up by a loud crash on my patio. I had just done some rearranging that afternoon and had stacked a bin of sticks on top of a table. My immediate thought was someone was coming over my wall...so what do I do? Throw open the door and head outside. I had laundry hanging, and had to duck under the laundry to see what had happened. And there on top of my washing machine was the culprit. I dashed back inside to get the camera, and this was my early morning visitor.


A rather unhappy Opposum! Perry started barking at him, so I knew I needed to get him back inside. We went back to bed, and I did hear scampering on the roof, so he found himself a way out of the patio.

The next day when I posted it on the local San Jacinto/San Clemente site, many people were unaware we had Opossums here in Ecuador, but this was what I found when I Googled it.

The common opossum (Didelphis marsupialis), also called the southern or black-eared opossum or gambá,[2] is a marsupial species living from the northeast of Mexico to Bolivia (reaching the coast of the South Pacific Ocean to the central coast of Peru), including the Lesser Antilles,[2] where it is called manicou.[3] It prefers the woods, but can also live in fields and cities. The common opossum is sometimes used by humans for food on islands in the West Indies.

The common opossum is similar in size to a house cat. The fur of the opossum is actually yellow in the under-fur, but is hidden by the longer black guard-hairs that cover it, while the tail, fingers, and face are lighter "with the tail being without fur, somewhat similar to a giant rat tail." It can measure nearly 20 inches long. It has large ears that are usually black, and its face is usually a pale peach in color, with black whiskers and eyes that reflect reddish in light. With a body length of nearly a foot, and a tail that can reach almost two feet, the common opossum is one of the larger members of its family. An adult can weigh more than three pounds.

So, there we have it...never a dull moment...stay tuned, the adventure continues!!

No comments:

Post a Comment