Translate

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Moms trip Part Four

Our last night on the road was in Puerto Cayo, a tiny fishing village an hour and fifteen minutes south of Manta. We got up said good bye to Senora and headed north, saw parts of Manta one doesnt usually see while going to the airport, and arrived at the fish market around 10 am. Here on the coast a favorite breakfast food is fish soup, they say it is a must for hang overs, and makes All the men strong. The best and first Encebollado I ever had was at the Manta fish market, so I shared that experience with mom, Jhonny and Vicente.


After our breakfast, we walked the beach and saw the big boat repairs being done. I never get tired of seeing the maestros at work.



A short drive and we were home in San Jacinto, said goodbye to our drivers and friends, Jhonny and Vicente and settled in for a low key afternoon. Mom was to stay with me a week, and I had some plans, but not much. One thing I arranged was a boat tour up the PortoViejo river with some friends.


I coordinated with Pasqual the boat captain, and with a moto taxi guy, and we had about 14 people from San Clemente and San Jacinto. We met at the “boca” at 4pm, with drinks and snacks, and had another fun trip. My friend Leo was with us, so he was able to translate what Pasqual was saying, and that meant we got to ask questions too. Learned about the various birds and life in mangroves.



Pasqual said the top tree was probably 150 years old, and he motioned over these crabbers, so we could see what they were catching.



About thirty minutes up the river is a small riverside village, and we passed many a boat, as it was “rush hour” and the men were going to work. I love this little area, and if I didnt mind being so secluded, I could live there.



The trip was $3 a person, and a little over an hour, well worth it. Dinner in San Clemente afterwards, and a good time was had by all. Another day Mom and I took the bus to Sosote, for tagua jewelry and some plants fo my patio, she adopted my outside reading nook, and read three or four books while here, and of course we beach walked. A very nice trip with lots of down time to visit. Next year...maybe an Amazon trip, so stay tuned, the adventure continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment