Translate

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

This years trip with Mom Part One

Last year, before Mom was even gone, I decided next trip we would do the southern beaches. I had her fly into Guayaquil, instead of Quito, and took the bus down to meet her. I had never spent anytime much farther south than Manta, except on the bus, so it was something I was very interested in. I arranged a driver for us and did some research, and before you knew it, it was July, and she was flying in!


Her plane arrived at noonish, our driver Jhonny had already picked me up at the bus station, and found us a cute little hotel. We got mom and luggage and headed to a very nice area with outdoor restaurants for lunch. We walked the malecon a little bit, then begged off for a much needed nap. We were to meet up with Jhonny, and my friend Leo (who was in Guayaquil working) for dinner around sunset.



Guayaquil is BIG, massive actually, I think the largest city in Ecuador. Wow, traffic! So many people and cars, I was missing my little fishing village already. Food was expensive, and by the end of the day, we were ready to head to a smaller city...next stop, Salinas


Well, smaller...but not small. It was low season, and much like a ghost town, especially at night. I had recently met two ladies who live in Salinas, so we met for an afternoon snack and drink, after we arrived. (They had also recommnded a condo for us to stay in). They took us to a popular look out point, that was breathtaking, and the waves! Chocolatera (which has NOTHING to do with chocolate)



Salinas has a big gringo population, and my friends suggested a good breakfast place for the next day. Italian food for dinner, and promises of a place to stay next time I venture down. I will take them up on it, at a time when I can see more action, I know it wont be for me, but I like to see the ecuadoreans enjoying their beach resorts. Next stop...Montanita, so stay tuned, the adventure continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment