Translate

Monday, July 2, 2018

Crazy Hat Party

Last year San Clemente got some new people from Texas, and they are blessed with the gift of Hospitality! They have a wonderful yard, and porch for gathering and dancing, and they just enjoy having a good time with their friends and neighbors. In chatting, we realized there were quite a few of us expats that had birthdays in June, so these people decided to have a joint birthday party, and made it themed as Crazy Hat. That meant I had to get thinking...I looked around my house, and saw a small balsa wood toucan I had purchased last year in Banos, that was my inspiration. I then started looking on Pinterest (where I get so many of my great ideas) and it was on!

I spent the afternoon in front of the tv while house sitting, making tissue paper leaves, and flowers. ( I also made Jerri an indian headdress, so made tissue paper feathers too) I had a large piece of cardboard I cut to make the hat portion, and poco y poco got the hat glued together. I used drinkng straws to make the “fronds” stiff, and also used them for the stems of the flowers. A little fishing line to hold everything around the hat and Voila! I was sooooo pleased!


I made one for Jerri, and then one for Bonnie as she was returning from Guayaquil the day of the party, and wouldnt have time or energy to make one for herself.



I really had a fun time making them, and couldnt wait to see what other people did. The night of the party was a great time (as always) and the happy faces show it.




There were prizes, first, second and third. First prize went to an ecuadorean, and the hat was pretty great! Toy cars, and even a helicopter on the top.



I won second place (glad I didnt get first, I dont drink Vodka, the wine is more my style)


And third went to another ecuadorean, kinda hard to see, but his hat was a big mug of beer


It really was a fun night. Not as many hats as I had hoped, maybe next year people will hire me to make them one. :)




We ended up having 13 birthday people, and the biggest party yet, probably 100 or more people! A wonderful celebration. Perry had a hat too, of course, but didnt wear it for more than a minute. (Plate of bacon and egg, it attached with a length of elastic, was super cute) Who knows whats next? So...stay tuned, the adventure continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment